Saturday, July 16, 2011

The New Studio!!


Come on in!! This is the door to the new digs!! I found this frame at an antique store in Birmingham and gave it a facelift. I used Krylon "Catalina Mist" Satin Spray paint and used 3 coats to get the frame ready, Then I went to Home Depot (where I had 4 people helping me at one time!) to get sheet metal. I bought some tin snips and cut the sheet metal to the right size to fit inside the frame. The cute little fabric flowers were the finishing touch. The fabric is "Amy Butler" and I used a technique I found on Pinterest, which is my new favorite obsession, called Yo-Yo's to make the flowers. The centers came from Hobby Lobby and I just hot glued them in the middle!! Fun!!



This is the view inside, it looks kind of bare without my curtains and swag lamp that will go over the chair. But I couldn't wait any longer to post the pics. There is a better view of the piece of furniture I got for my birthday below. The chair was my Goodwill $50 awesome find!!! The swag lamp is covered in Amy Butler fabric and will have more fabric flowers on it. You'll have to come back to see that!



Here is a view of the working corner. My easel, chair and taboret. You can see my great barn door find on the left where I have placed some of my art work. It is gorgeous and has lots of chippy paint.


Another view of the working area with my windows, old wood boxes, etc...


Here is a view of my prep table where I will be priming canvases and varnishing. I have also been able to pull out my sewing machine and work on that table. The top is made from an old barn door that was on my husband's hunting property!

The windows!

Many of you have been subjected to the endless window project, but it turned out so cute it was all worth it!! I found the windows at the Rescue Mission Thrift Store. The hardest part was getting the glass out! But after that it wasn't too bad. I sanded the windows really well then started with a coat of Valspar " Park Place" paint.  Then sanded some more. Lastly I used the "Martha Stewart" glazing from Home Depot and mixed in some acrylic paint ( Burnt Umber). I brushed it on and a few minutes later wiped off enough to leave what you see here. Then I bought old coffee bags ( really cheap) and cover some cork board that was cut to fit each pane and stapled it on with a staple gun and Voila!! Now I just need some inspiring things to pin on them!


The wooden apple crates I kept asking about on Facebook are here, holding my supplies!


Here are some other various cute items I found to hold supplies and basically look cute!

Another shot of the barn door


A better shot of the antique piece of furniture from Bud and other sweet friends for my birthday!!! Love this piece!


Close up of the fabric flowers!

3 comments:

martinealison said...

Merci pour l'ensemble de vos photos et ce joli partage de votre atelier...
gros bisous;

Kim Vanlandingham said...

It's beautiful and so organized. Now if that were my place, it would look like that for about a week! If you let a wild animal run around in there for about 20 min, that would look more like my studio does right now. I'm glad you have a wonderful inspiring place to work!

Unknown said...

I noticed your painting on the 30 day challenge, which I was hoping to participate in, but still working on my website. I love your subject matter, your style and middle name, Goodwin. It was my maiden name, and my Father was John William Goodwin from the Birmingham Area. We could be related. I was working on finding relatives through Ancestry .Com, and fortunately found a few I have never met, but now keep in touch by Facebook and email. I have also discovered many members of the Clan are Artists or Writers. Interesting how the world is getting smaller. I will be looking for your paintings, and hope to catch up and get some on line as well. Mary Ann Kiesler (Goodwin)